for your amusement, edification, and inspiration…
Tweeted 23 June – 29 June, 2012 (Want to follow me on Twitter?)
- Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. -Rudyard Kipling (RT @HienSwire1)
- “I couldn’t wait for success, so I went ahead without it.” Jonathan Winters (RT @Leadershipfreak)
- Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out. ~Stephen Covey (RT @CarlaYoung)
- A nail is driven out by another nail. Habit is overcome by habit. ~Desiderius Erasmus (RT @TheHRGoddess)
- “99% of business failures aren’t because of market conditions, they’re because of entrepreneurs who can’t get over themselves.” (RT @dylanized)
- Too much thinking ends doing. -@Leadershipfreak
- Remember to be as good to yourself as you are to your friends. -@NikaStewart
- Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now. ~Alan Lakein (RT @TheHRGoddess)
- I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller, Jr. (RT @HienSwire1)
- Don’t be forever regretting the past or anticipating the future…get the most that you can out of this instant.
- It isn’t the great big pleasures that count the most; it’s making a great deal out of the little ones.
- Most people don’t live; they just race.
- I believe absolutely in my own free will & my own power to accomplish – that is the belief that moves mountains.
George Sand (Amandine-Lucile-
- Be less cruel to yourself.
- When one is understood, one rejoices and continues.
- All is possible since all is unknown.
- The artist is an explorer whom nothing ought to stop…
Norval A. Hawkins
- A great many failures of capable men [are due] to short-sighted concentration on immediate chances.
- You need first of all to know your true self, before you can sell true ideas about your qualifications for success.
- Your true self is your best self. You are untrue to yourself… unless you develop to the utmost of your capacity…
- It is worse than futile – it is foolish for you to imitate anybody else. Just be your best self.
- Anger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content.
- Energy may be likened to the bending of a crossbow; decision, to the releasing of a trigger.
- Have vision! / To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence.
- Men can be as original now as ever, if they had but the courage, even the insight.
- The world looks dark. Shall we therefore be dark too? Is it not our business to bring it back to light and joy?
- The men whom I have seen succeed best in life have always been cheerful and hopeful men…
- Let us never be afraid of trying anything new, learnt from people of different opinions to our own.
Rainer Maria Rilke
- Rejoice in your growth, into which you can take no one with you, and be kind to those who remain behind.
- Do not be led astray by multiplicity of names and the complicatedness of occasions.
- Do not be led astray by the surface of things; in the depths everything becomes law.
- Allow your judgments their own quiet, undisturbed development, which like all progress must come from deep within you and cannot be forced or hastened by anything. The whole thing is to carry the full time and then give birth; to let every impression and every germ of a feeling consummate itself entirely within itself…
- …follow quietly and earnestly the course of your own development.
- When your daily life seems barren, do not blame it; blame yourself rather and tell yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches; for the creative worker knows no barrenness and no poor indifferent place.
- It is trying to be other than one’s self that unmans one. Be your own natural self and go ahead. -Andrew Carnegie
- Once you believe your goal is possible, the difficult will become routine. -Cynthia Kersey
- Intentionally invest more time in the essential few and avoid the distracting many. @kevinwmccarthy
- Productivity can be achieved only through imperfection. Make a decision. Follow through. @peterbregman
- We gain so much by quickness, and lose so much by slowness. -Seneca
- No man should attempt to teach others what he has never learned himself – Samuel Johnson
- We live in a time when writers do not always have barriers around them -Georges Simenon (1955)
- What is interesting about self-analysis is that it leads nowhere—it is an art form in itself. -Anita Brookner
- When you make a break for freedom you don’t necessarily find company on the way. -Anita Brookner
- The great natures which are good, are above everything generous and don’t begrudge the giving of themselves. -Flaubert
- One must laugh and weep, love, work, enjoy and suffer, in short vibrate as much as possible in all his being. -Flaubert
- Time is a limited resource. It is up to us how we use it. -Simon Whaley
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Marie Rilke. I have a hard copy of this somewhere, and I’ve read it thru several times. I spent the whopping $1.99 to get it on my Kindle this week (that’s where the link goes).
This Paris Review interview with Anita Brookner. Paris Review, always good stuff. My dad got me a subscription for my birthday… So excited to actually have it in my hands instead of just browsing online, though I do love combing thru the interview archives.
The George Sand-Gustave Flaubert Letters. (That link is to the free Kindle edition.) This is where all the George Sand quotes came from. Flaubert is quote-worthy, too, but his tend to run way over the 140-character limit. Sorry, Gustave, you don’t work well with Twitter.